Apparently this is a thing bloggers do regularly. Like Sundry and a bunch of others. I do nothing regularly which is obvious given my last post and timeline of all my posts. I am inconsistent. So whatever, here.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Well, I checked my toddler into the hospital for dehydration and witnessed her IV placement. Never before and never again.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't generally believe in resolutions. It's just something that I end up failing at every year, over and over, which is no way to live every year. I can fail at shit all by myself, I don't need a list. So...since I had none, I didn't fail at them, right? Yes! Truthfully early in the year 2011 I was tired of my fat self and decided to do something about it. I've been running since Jan 2011 and still going at it. So if you MUST insist on a real answer for this one...fine. I did that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Sort of. My sister had a baby boy. We should be close, but we're not because I don't approve of some of the choices she made and I don't know how to pretend that I do. So. Hello impasse.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don't think so.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. I did fantasize about all kinds of foreign vacations though. Does that count?
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More cash? Who doesn't want more cash? Besides that baby in the Capital One commercials. Better control of my time, so I can properly support my children in their education and also still have lots of fun.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Monday, February 28. We put our dog to sleep that day. Worst day ever.
Friday, March 4. Same week as above, checked toddler into hospital for dehydration.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't think there is one. Registering the toddler for preschool and then getting her there on time, that's big. Also figuring out that she's playing me when I drop her off and adjusting the routine so she's a much happier preschooler now.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not realizing my toddler was dehydrated. After so many days of vomit and poop..I should have known better. You can cut me some slack because I put down the dog and bought a car that same week..but I don't deserve it. No parent should be that distracted. Huge parenting fail.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not outside of the regular thanks-to-the-stupid-children illnesses. What is it about preschool that makes parents bring the snot covered kids anyway?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well. I LOVE this new cabinet the husband bought me for Christmas. Since its OUR money...it counts, right?
12. Where did most of your money go?
Edward Jones apparently. And the mortgage. We have a 15 year, and we'll pay it off in about 5 years, so even though the payment is high, we'll be done really soon. If the economy would pick up..that'd be excellent. I'd worry less about making that.
13. What did you get really excited about?
The kid going to preschool. These two hours twice a week, by myself, to work and focus. Awesome.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele's Rolling in the Deep. I heard it first when one of the contestants on The Voice sang it and had to look it up. Also really like Price Tag by Jessie J. At the same time, Kidz Bop ruins all these songs, so 2011 reminds me of that also.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
-happier or sadder? probably the same. hard to pin down just one for a whole year
-thinner or fatter? definitely thinner and I will keep it that way, hello salad for lunch.
-richer or poorer? I think probably the same, or richer depending on how you look at it.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Playing games with the kids, or playing outside with the kids. We were outside a lot and both girls love riding their bikes now, so perhaps this spring we'll get to do more of that. Maybe more times out with the husband as well.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hollered at my kids. Lost my shit when I just couldn't take it anymore.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With my in-laws, which was awesome. We each took vacation days which ended up in all of us having eleven - yes 11 - days off in a row. It was excellent.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
I think Grey's Anatomy...but Rizzoli & Isles, The Closer and Covert Affairs are very close seconds...
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I loved the Hunger Games series and I signed up for GoodReads so I can get some good recommendations. We also rediscovered the local library this year, which has been awesome.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Toby Keith "Red Solo Cup"
Anything Lady Antebellum
Adele "Rolling in the Deep"
still love Kelly Clarkson
The Band Perry
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Crazy, Stupid, Love (Spoiler: I did NOT figure out that Emma Stone was Steve Carrell's daughter in the movie until it hit me in the face)
Twilight: Breaking Dawn (shut up)
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35 and I don't remember what I did. We didn't do anything super special.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery? Being satisfied is up to each of us I think..so I don't think I like this question.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Trendy. Although this is sort of a stupid question.
26. What kept you sane?
Books and my DVR. And during the summer, the in-laws when they came to take the children camping.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Pay attention. Nothing is more important than the health of your children. Just pay attention.
Happy new year everyone.