Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

The winning combo

So I finally realized last night why I run. Why I haven't quit, like I've quit so many other exercise plans. I don't love to run, honestly, anyone that says they do, I think is lying at least a little bit. I love how I feel afterwards, I love how it feels to finish a race that other people are in..and to finish ahead of a lot of people feels great. But the running part, it's generally awful. But..I figured out why I do it anyway. It's something I've finally figured out that I can do for myself. I keep myself on task, I'm not a slacker about it, I hate it when I let anything get in the way of my regular treadmill time. Also, let me be clear - I'm not running a 5k every night. My treadmill has programs that let me burn X calories in X time and I typically choose the 400 cal/40min program which involves plenty of walking. I run a little faster during the fast parts and according to the treadmill I burn around 450cals. I also watch tv on the iPad while I'm doing it - I'd quit for sure without that. Anyway...that's the thing. I do it because I want to, it's sort of my "thing" and I don't want to stop doing it. Also, it works. My legs and behind have never looked so good.

I'm running in the MuddyMonster next weekend and I think I'm going to dress up. Maybe a bumblebee...from what I've heard about the facebook photos..I could have a shot at a costume prize if I make just a little effort. It doesn't start until 10 which I love and it's all trails and grass, which is soooo much better than road running.

The other part of this combo is yoga or pilates or piyo or some sort of core exercise. I actually WANT to get out my Tracy Anderson post pregnancy DVD and see if i can do more of it now. I've been taking a piyo class at a local gym and so far I really think its working. It's slow progress, but I believe it works. So I think I'll take at least one more session of the class and then I'll have to decide if its still worth the hassle of going to class, or if I can find a suitable pilates/yoga/something DVD to do the same thing. I think actual yoga or pilates poses are key though, so i'm hesitant to give it up. We'll see how it works out.

Random note. I love RunKeeper I know Dooce mentioned it on her blog recently, which I thought was pretty cool, but I was also like HEY I USED IT FIRST. It's a really nice program, and it works on my windows phone and so i have my music, runkeeper and phone all in one, which is awesome. It tracks your gps location and pace and elevation as you run, then it maps it all out for you online, which you can then share with others. It's just cool.

Okbye.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you don't like running, as weird as that may sound. I played sports when I was younger, but I don't now and I need to get into a workout program. I don't like to run just for the sake of running (as in, not with purpose in the midst of some sort of game), but that is probably the best thing for me. So it's nice to know that someone else who doesn't just like to run can stick with, because it means that maybe (JUST MAYBE) I have a shot of sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran my first 5k in July and started out next to a guy wearing a shirt that said Running Sucks. So true. I never played sports really, hated gym class, and generally don't like exercise. I know that I need to do something because after two kids, my lazy self, and some not so stellar eating habits - I'm not going to magically stay at a healthy weight. So I run. I highly recommend the Couch to 5k program, the guy on there (on my ipod anyway) says RUN. Otherwise I'd never run. And its a good program to get into general running shape. You can do it. If I can stick with it..anyone can.

    ReplyDelete